Wednesday, November 25, 2020

#givethanks - day 5


 Today I am thankful for covenants.  A covenant is a 2-way promise with our Heavenly Father.  We promise certain things to him, and receive His blessings in return.  I am very grateful for a loving Heavenly Father who sent His Son to be our Savior.  "For God so loved the world that He sent His Only Begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life."  (John 3:16)

The first covenant most of us make is baptism, where we covenant with the Lord that we will follow Him, and He promises to be our Savior, as long as we are faithful to that covenant.  He took upon Himself our sins, so we would not have to pay the price.  My favorite scripture about His Atonement is 

"For behold, I, God, suffered these things for all that they would not suffer if they would repent; but if they would not repent, they must suffer even as I, which suffering caused myself, even God, to tremble because of pain, and to bleed at every pore, and to suffer both body and spirit - and would that I might not drink the bitter cup, and shrink - Nevertheless, glory be to the Father, and I partook and finished my preparations unto the children of men."  D&C 19:16-19

As part of the blessing of Confirmation, we are promised that if we are faithful, we will have the Holy Ghost as our constant Companion, to guide us and reveal to us many things, according to our needs and our faithfulness.

Then there are the covenants we make in the temple; covenants of service and sacrifice, which have enriched my life and helped me to become the person I am.

And last and most wonderful of all, the marriage covenant, where we are bound or sealed to our families forever, both our ancestors and our descendants, so  that we can be with those we love most forever.  It was for this reason that Jesus gave Peter the keys of the kingdom. (Matthew 16:19)

I am so very grateful for these promises and the joy and the structure they give my life.  I cannot imagine where I would be (or who I would be) without them. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

It is never fun to write into a vacuum. I would love to know you were here, so stop and say hi!