Sunday, July 18, 2021

Sewing for Barbie

As a kid, I received a Barbie for my 7th birthday. My aunt had sewn her an entire wardrobe, and I was thrilled.
Just like today, the dolls were fairly inexpensive, but the clothes were more than my parents wanted to pay. I remember sewing Barbie clothes with my aunt and grandmother, and it seemed fun then. A couple of decades later, when my children were little, I tried sewing doll clothes again, and it was awful. I hated it. The pieces were small and the effort was too much for the output.
But for Christmas 2019, I got my granddaughter a Barbie, and decided to make some clothes. I didn't like it any better than I did when my girls were little.
A friend posted some Barbie clothes she had made on Instagram, and I responded with a minor rant about what a pain they were to make. My online friend gave me some great pointers on how to make them quick and easy, and even shared some patterns and pattern sources with me. I took the opportunity then to make an entire wardrobe (above) for my granddaughter's birthday.
Barbie clothes, and doll clothes in general, no longer hold any fear for me. In fact, I'm about to make another Barbie wardrobe for another granddaughter's birthday, which is coming soon.

2 comments:

  1. I have always loved sewing doll clothes, but they are fiddly. Those will make such a nice gift for your granddaughter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right - they are very fiddly. But if I remember to do the hems and things before I sew the whole thing together, life is good. =)

      Delete

It is never fun to write into a vacuum. I would love to know you were here, so stop and say hi!