Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Block Party

I worked on bee blocks this past weekend. 



I was in the 3x6 Bee as caretaker of the Pinwheels hive, so of course I chose a pinwheel block.  For once I chose an easy block that was quick to make, which was good because I spent most of the weekend with my foot elevated.  Hard to do that and sew!

This was a block that I found on last year's calendar.  I really like it.

One of the fun things about the 3x6 Bee is that you make the same block in different colorways.  It lets you see how the colors play together.  My friend and I have been talking about making a quilt like this - the same block in different colorways.  I think it would be gorgeous.

Apparently the only picture I took of this block was with my phone.  The blue is the same as in the blue/green block above, but it doesn't look the same here, does it?  Anyway, you get the idea.

Two of the members of this hive wanted rainbow blocks.  I was trying to figure out how I was going to do that with this block when I noticed this crayon fabric sitting right beside the sewing machine.  I had been auditioning it for something else, but it was perfect for these rainbow blocks.



I also made a few blocks for my friend Marian in the Bee Awesome bee.  The tutorial for the Bee Simple block is here.  She asked for three blocks, and I told her I would make a few more.  At first I made 7.

But they were so easy and so fun, I ended up making a round dozen.  I usually don't like blocks with gray in them, but I have to say, this color combination is so soothing, I may have to make myself a quilt using these colors.  Every time I looked at the blocks I just felt good.  Maybe gray does have its place in the world after all.


Finally, I got out my GMFG blocks and started putting those together.

Progress is pretty slow, but it's coming.  It's a great project for sitting in the recliner with your foot up.

Sorry for the distracting background in this photo, but I am making progress.  I'm out of yellow hexies again, so it's time to make some more.  I think this is going to be an ongoing project, and although it's on my 13 in 2013 list, I will be very surprised if this one is done by the end of the year.  It will be enough just to have made some progress, since it's all sewn by hand.  I am really loving the way this is coming together.  I think this may be a favorite quilt, if it ever gets done!

So that's what's been going on in the prsd4tim2 studio this week.  What have you been up to?







1 comment:

  1. I'm doing a GMFG, too. But I haven't assembled any flowers yet. I've got 40 flowers ready so far, but most of them are blue, because I'm using up scraps, so I'll need some more time to ample out my colour choice. Yours is beautiful with the yellow "fences"!

    ReplyDelete

It is never fun to write into a vacuum. I would love to know you were here, so stop and say hi!