Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Progress?


At the Emerald Coast MQG meeting on Saturday - our 2nd birthday, BTW - I was lucky enough to win the block lottery... 41 luscious wonky cross blocks in shades remiscent of days (and nights) at the beach, befitting our Emerald Coast heritage.  So, Sunday night, while WH was watching football, I decided to head into the sewing room and putter around.  I messed around with arrangements of these blocks on my design - um... - floor, pinned them in rows, stacked them all up and put them in a pile.

Since I wasn't really into the football game, I dug around in the WIP basket and decided to put together what I thought was my September goal for ALYOF - my bag of string blocks. 

Having those pinned in rows and piled up ready to sew, and knowing I was behind on my 13 in 2013 goals, I decided to get out the bentos and lay them out.  Done and done.

Football still taking over the den, I laid out my starflower quilt.  It took up the entire floor, and I even had to weave blocks around the legs of the ironing board, but I ended up with a layout I liked.  (It's gonna be awesome!!)

Then yesterday, starting about 8 am, I decided I was going to make it happen.  I sewed for about an hour and a half and the string blocks became a quilt top.  Easy peasy.

Another couple of hours, and the bentos became a quilt top.  I was cookin'. 

After a fun lunch date with my friend (and former co-worker) Shandra, and a nice long nap, I came back and put together the wonky cross quilt. This one was a bit more of a challenge since I had to make an extra block and fix a couple of size issues, but eventually it was done also...  And it was still light outside.  (I should have gone out immediately to take photos but it was getting dark and threatening rain, so these blurry, poorly lit I-phone shots are all I have at this moment - sorry.)


Ha!  Three quilt tops in one day!  I was pretty pumped so I decided to try putting the starflower quilt together - especially since I was afraid to pick it up, so it was still on the floor, being walked on, rolled on, and stepped over.  Amanda's directions are easy to follow and my first hexagon/star combo went together like a dream. 

So I decided to put the first two stars together.  Definitely NOT as hard as it looks.  Amanda's instructions are really quite good, and stars and hexies went together perfectly.  I ended up with the first row entirely together (which was good, because now I won't have to roll over blocks with my chair any more.)  And it was only 8 pm. A truly productive day. 

It wasn't until this morning that I realized that there was just one problem...  My goal for September was Bow Ties.

Oops!







6 comments:

  1. hahaha! great finishes. Good thing you've still got some September left to finish the real goal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many great projects - love the wonky crosses!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun to have accomplished so much! I love the emeralds! The strings and bentos are fabulous too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha!! What a sewing spree!!!! So jealous! I lost my sewing mojo during the summer and haven't gotten it back yet. You are inspiring me to do so!!! Love all you projects!! Can't wait to see them all done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't had a get-er-done sewing day like that for a long time. They're fun, aren't they?! Every one of your flimsies is beautiful. The scrappiness of each one is so appealing. Good for you! Now do you quilt them all yourself?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I especially love your wonky crosses and was pleased that my wonky cross placemats were the 'inspiration' for your guilds block lottery! I'm keeping an eye out on Ig etc. for the finished quilt! ;-)

    ReplyDelete

It is never fun to write into a vacuum. I would love to know you were here, so stop and say hi!