Thursday, May 23, 2013

4 Quilts (in Process...)




 Note:  The Tula Pink/Prince Charming giveaway is here.

While there are a couple of aspects of being a working girl I do miss, being retired does have its advantages.  I have the chance to sew a lot more, of course, and I'm having a blast!  Since I feel like I've made a bit of progress, I thought I would share four quilt tops I have made this month.  The first {and the second?} is my goal for may in the  A Lovely Year of Finishes Flickr group.  These were blocks I obtained from the 3x6 bee, and I received so many - 26 to be exact - that I decided to make two quilts.  I sashed the first in the yellow from the GMFG (note to self - buying a whole bolt is a LOT of fabric).  It is a pretty color, and I think shows off the aqua and red very well.  A few of the blocks have yellow in them, so I think it works.

Here is the second quilt top.  I really like this one too.  The funny thing about bee blocks is that 12-1/2" can mean so many things, so I sashed them with really wide sashing and then cut them down to all end up the same size.

These will probably end up as quilts for Project Linus.  Our local Project Linus is attempting to collect 150 quilts by July 31 to enable them to give one to every child who attends a summer camp for military children whose parent/parents are deployed. 

Which of these do you like best?  I can't decide.  Is the blue one suitable for a boy, do you think?


A member of our quilt guild is moving soon and put 24 of these blocks up for grabs to make another quilt for the Project Linus quilt drive.  I found them at the bottom of my bag last week when I cleaned up my show and tell stuff.  Since they were there, and I was avoiding another project (don't remember which one) I sat down and made one more block and put them together in a square. 

Then, since I don't really like square quilts, I bought a yard of this Boho Eclectic in Rain by Urban Chiks and did really wide borders.  The colors matched perfectly.  I'm not sure what the original fabric was...

Finally, I had this idea that I could do faux string blocks with my Stripes that Bind bundle from Westwood Acres, so I thought I would give it a try.  It turned out just like I thought it would.  Easy Peasy.  But I didn't want to use up all my stripes just yet, so I only made 6 blocks.  Hmmm...  What can you do with only 6 blocks?

Heximetry, of course.  I think I may make narrow borders from the solids before this one is actually finished, but I really love the way it turned out.  The perfect pattern if you only have a few large-ish hexagons.  These were larger than Ali's original pattern, so I had to fudge some, but I am pleased with the way it turned out.  Not sure if I'll donate this one.  I might just have to keep it.

So, there you have it.  I need to buy some batting and then get these babies quilted.  Should keep me busy for a day or two (or five - or ten...)

Happy quilting!



7 comments:

  1. Wow! They are all lovely. The heximetry one is really striking. Can't wait to see how you quilt everything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are some great quilts Wendi! I too love what you did with the hexagon blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loving all the quilts you are working on Wendi and I can't pick a favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  4. or you could donate it to me, teehee. all lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love these - in particular the hexi one !!! You have been busyn

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're busy , busy! I can't wait to see Heximetry done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, lots of progress! Great job! I love finishing projects, especially forgotten things that I've found put away somewhere. You're not only finishing projects, but you're clearing out clutter and making room for more fabric!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Please - make my day!