Thursday, May 22, 2014

Five Easy Pieces - Part V

At the March ECMQG meeting, the lovely Diane taught a class on improv curved piecing.  I hadn't given much thought to this technique before, so I grabbed a stack of FQ's and headed out the door to the meeting. 

Diane's creations are truly awe-inspiring.  I love the way she just takes ordinary fabric and makes such amazing things.  Be sure to check out her blog.


Me?  Not so much. 

I thought about cutting the blocks in quarters and trying to do something with them that way.


But in the end, this is what I ended up with.  Five big blobs in a bigger gray blob.

And I hated it.



So, in the end, I took it all apart.  I left one third of it alone. I cut part of it into a row of small, narrow blocks, kind of like a ladder and fit it in the center.  Then I cut one of the blocks apart and put it at either end of the larger block.

I still don't think this will ever be my favorite quilt, but it's better.  And I learned a few things about curved piecing.  I might try this technique again, but not with these colors and probably not with curves in both directions.

But, when it's quilted, it will still be bright and cheerful.  It will still keep someone warm.  Those are good things I think. 



2 comments:

  1. It really looks good. The colors are great together, and the workmanship is fine. But improv piecing isn't for everyone. I know it's not for me. I just don't love it. I want to love it. I try to love it. But it's just not "me". It's supposed to just develop naturally (hence the term "improv"), yet I end up working very hard to make it look like it just "happened". Maybe improv piecing isn't "you", either? Kudos for trying it, though. Trying new things is good! And even if you don't love that quilt, someone else will, that's for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wendi, I love the way your quilt top turned out. I bet you will like it more after it is quilted. Thanks for your kind words. I enjoyed my little class at the guild meeting. I went home and cut my four blocks the second way, and I don't like it as much either. I may cut the last seams and out some solids between them. It was just too much pattern. I guess we are all learning. See you in July. I'm off to camp stitchalot in June.

    ReplyDelete

It is never fun to write into a vacuum. I would love to know you were here, so stop and say hi!