Saturday, June 14, 2014

Real Men {Do} Eat Quiche - A Recipe

I don't share too many recipes on the blog, mostly because I don't cook very much any more, but tomorrow is Father's Day, and so I thought I would share one of my family's favorites.  Maybe you're looking for something yummy to serve the guy in your life this Father's Day?  Back in the day, there was a book out called "Real Men Don't Eat Quiche", but that certainly hasn't been my experience with this dish.  It's a breakfast favorite, much-requested recipe by the men in my life!  My son usually requests it every time he comes home, and my son-in-law told me the last time he visited that it's one of the things he looks forward to when he visits.  (Or, having a ladies brunch?  Your female guests will love it too!)

This dish is perfect for family get-togethers - in fact, it's part of our traditional Christmas breakfast.



Oh, and did I tell you that you can substitute other goodies for the bacon?  Ham works great too.  During my daughter's vegetarian phase, I made her vegetarian quiche by substituting broccoli for the bacon.  Maybe you'd like mushrooms and spinach?  Whatever, this recipe is really versatile.  Let your imagination soar!


Best of all?  You can make it the day before, cover with plastic wrap and store it in the fridge overnight.  The next morning, just pop it into the oven about 30 minutes before you're ready to eat.


Perfect!



Real Men {Do} Eat Quiche

1 Pillsbury All-Ready Crust
4 - 6 Slices Bacon (cooked and crumbled)
4 Eggs
1 C. Sour Cream (sometimes I use plain nonfat yogurt to reduce the calories)
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp pepper
2 Tbsp. Dried Minced Onion
2 C. (8 oz.) Grated Cheese (I use Colby/Jack or sometimes a 4-cheese blend)

Preheat oven to 350*.

Cook bacon until crisp.  (I cook in the microwave at 1-minute per slice.)

 Place crust in pie plate or quiche dish.  (Sometimes this is easier if the crust is out of the refrigerator for a few minutes before unrolling.)

While bacon is cooking, beat eggs til frothy, then add sour cream, salt, pepper, and onion.  When bacon is done, cut or break into small pieces and add to egg mixture.  Stir in cheese. Pour egg mixture into prepared crust.

Bake at 350* for 30 minutes.  Quiche is done when a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.  Remove from oven and let stand 5 minutes before cutting.  Cut and serve.


Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment

It is never fun to write into a vacuum. I would love to know you were here, so stop and say hi!