Monday, June 15, 2015

Two Weeks...

It's hard to believe that two weeks of my summer break are gone.  The good news is that I do have a couple of things to show for it.  I finished up this Arrow quilt that I started during the school year.  It was slow going because I didn't have much time to sew, but I managed to finish it just as the baby/wedding craziness started.

Oh - didn't I tell you about that?  OK, I'll get to that soon.


Anyway, this quilt was one of Jenny's tutorials on Missouri Star Quilts (and was also in her Winter Block magazine), and I just couldn't wait to try it.  I stopped by my LQS and picked up a Kona Solids Layer Cake, brought it home and got busy.  Or at least started to get busy.  Jenny uses a Sizzix in her tutorial with a 5" half hexagon, but I don't have a half hexagon - or a whole hexagon for that matter - for my Sizzix, so I used the hexagon die for my AccuQuilt and cut the hexagons in half.  I also didn't have a triangle template for either the AccuQuilt or the Sizzix so I rotary cut them from a triangle template.  Consequently, my arrows started out a bit different than Jenny's from the beginning.   If I remember correctly, her sashing between rows was even, making the rows of arrows evenly spaced, but apparently I can't leave anything alone, so I graduated the width of the sashing so the rows got progressively further apart.

I have to admit that it was very nice to actually finish something - even if it was only a top.

Last week, in my creative funk, I dug out my box of blue scraps and started cutting and sewing.  I put together these random four-patch squares, and then interspersed them with white Bella.  It was just a bit of fabric play.  Borders or no borders - that was the question.   Since the quilt ended up being only 36"x 48", I finally decided to do asymmetrical borders on all four sides, making the finished size 48"x60".

I didn't notice until I uploaded the pictures that I hung the quilt "upside down" - to my mind anyway - so this is the way I envisioned it.

So, progress is being made.  Stay tuned.





4 comments:

  1. that arrow quilt is sensational!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a gorgeous layer cake you cut into for the arrows! And the blue four patches turned out very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those arrows are really wonderful. I also like the blue quilt.

    ReplyDelete

It is never fun to write into a vacuum. I would love to know you were here, so stop and say hi!