It seems I just can't help myself. I keep talking quilts, but I keep making medical gear. First masks, then gowns, and now surgical caps. My friend who gave me the fabric for the gowns gave me some smaller pieces, and I just can't let it go to waste - and it doesn't seem fair to just shove it in my stash and move on - so the other day, I sat down and made several of these surgical caps. They were easy, and like most other projects get easier the more you make. And this fabric was so cute, they were fun to sew. And they go pretty fast, I made 8 caps in about 4 hours, including the time it took to make and eat dinner.
The pattern is here. There is also a video tutorial if that's your thing, but I'm too impatient to watch people sew seams - I've been doing that since I was 5 so it's not a mystery to me - so I prefer to skim down to find the place where it explains what to do if I'm stuck. I know others get a lot more from video, so choose whatever works for you.
You can get 2 caps out of about 1/2 yard of fabric if you're careful how you cut. I had to piece the ties on one of the pink caps, but I don't think that's a big deal. The part that confused me was how the tie ends worked, but once I saw what she did, I realized it was genius.
The only thing I did differently was to put a piece of elastic in the back. People have different sized heads and I think the elastic may make it fit a bit better. I used a piece of 1/4" elastic about 3-1/2" long, and attached it using the same method I've been using on Barbie clothes and hospital gowns - feed it through the casing just until the end of the elastic meets the edge of the fabric and sew it down, then feed it the rest of the way, remove the safety pin, and sew that end down. Now it is anchored firmly in the seam and can''t come loose.
I have enough fabric for about 6 more surgical caps, I think. Guess I should get on it. They don't make themselves.
EDIT: In between the time I wrote this and the time it was to be published, I used that fabric, and managed to get 8 caps out of 1-1/2 yards of fabric by piecing two of the caps along what should have been the fold. And - bonus for me - they're paisley, and I've always loved the way colors play together in a paisley.