Tuesday, May 19, 2020

Sewing for Ken


Once I had a wardrobe for Barbie, I realized that Ken deserved equal time.  Naturally I had to purchase a Ken and a Barbie as models for my clothes-making efforts.  Ken showed up at my house wearing only a swimsuit.  Barbie was slightly more fortunate, wearing a top and skirt and adorable pink high heels.  But Ken?  Ken was desperate!  As mentioned in the previous post, not so very long ago, I hated making doll clothes, but I have found a few techniques that have been shared with me, and I've included them here as "helpful hints."  I hope they help you too.

First, I dug in the scrap basket.  I found this piece of gray Kona cotton and a coordinating piece of light gray in a weave design left over from a quilt I made way back when.  I had lots of the gray Kona, but just enough scraps of the weave to make the shirt.  I found patterns for the shirt and the pants at chellywood.com.  Here's the link.  It should be noted though that I did not read the small print.  She clearly says this pattern does not fit Ken...  and she is so right.  I finished the first pair of pants, and I'm not sure it would have fit Barbie.  That first pair went in the trash.  But, being the resourceful person that I am, I slit the let of the pattern up the middle added 1/2" all the way up, and made the pants again.  This time, they fit!  It's possible that adding only 3/8" would have made for better fitting pants with no wrinkle across the derriere, but these are intended for rather little people, and I think ease of dressing and undressing counts for something.

The cutest - and most difficult - part about these pants are the pockets.  Clearly, I have more work to do to make classy back pockets.  Chellywood has a tutorial for the pants, and I assume it includes her method for the pockets, but naturally, being the impatient person that I am, I didn't watch it.  I don't think my littles will care.  

The shirt was from this same pattern, and it fit Ken pretty well.  It was also easy to construct, which counts for a lot.  The collar and sleeves fit perfectly, which is unusual for doll clothes in my experience, and also a plus.  The pattern shows long sleeves, but I cut them short - I live in Florida after all.  Helpful hint:  Hem the sleeves before you sew up the side seam.  For the blue beach shirt, I just used velcro - no buttons.  I cut a piece of 3/4" sew-in velcro in half lengthwise, so enough for 2 shirts from 1 length of velcro.  (The pattern set also has a tie and a pair of dress pants I haven't tried yet.)



This shirt also has a velcro closure, but I really love the effect of the buttons.  They are for show only.  No way do I have patience enough to even attempt buttonholes this size.  And in truth, the littles who are dressing the dolls probably couldn't manage buttons and buttonholes that small anyway.  I had a friend ask where I found the tiny buttons.  I bought them in a package at Joann's in the buttons section.  The brand is Findings.   I also found this online store that has both zippers and buttons for dolls, and Nancy's Notions also has doll buttons, but they seem to be in much larger quantities and consequently, much more expensive.



 I found Ken's T-shirt pattern here.  It looks a bit strange when it isn't on him, but it fits him pretty well.  For the fabric, I cut up a couple of t-shirts that have holes in them.  I have to say, using scraps and worn out clothes does make me feel a bit thrifty.



I used the same pants pattern to make Ken jeans and  shorts from my favorite pair of summer skimmers that unfortunately got a hole in an unmentionable place.  Barbie will get a pair of jeans from these too (and now that I'm making doll clothes, I might make some American Girl clothes since those are sooooo expensive!)   Helpful Hint:  Hem the pants before you sew up the inseam.




At the same time, I went hunting for a pattern for a pair of leggings for Barbie because every girl needs leggings these days.  I cut up a t-shirt I didn't like and Helpful hint:  used the bottom of the cuff for the hem, which made them super fast and rather decorative.  Helpful hint:  Putting the casing in the pants and skirts has been a pain up until now.  On this pair, I tried a technique I used on the sleeves of the hospital gowns - I sewed the casing, pulled the elastic through just far enough to stitch it down on one end,  pulled it the rest of the way through and stitched it down on the other end of the casing, then sewed the back seam.  It's counter-intuitive, but it really cuts down on the frustration of trying to sew the two ends of that tiny piece of 1/8" elastic together.

So, I'm having fun getting these dolls attired before the grands get here next week.  I promised the oldest that we would make clothes for her AG doll, but I think the younger ones would be frustrated trying to sew these little pieces for Barbie and Ken.  Then again, I was making doll clothes with my grandmother when I was about their age.  We may give it a try if they're so inclined.

5 comments:

  1. I can’t wait to see B & K in their beach attire in front of the PB beach ball.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to tell the littles to do that. It will be a cute picture!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

It is never fun to write into a vacuum. I would love to know you were here, so stop and say hi!