Friday, July 10, 2020

Sewing With Grandma - Part III



This segment of Sewing With Grandma had to wait until the item was gifted, hence the delay.  Rather than make the shorts that I had planned for us to make together.  "A" decided she wanted to make her other grandma (Granny) a quilt.  I allowed her to choose any fabric bundle on my shelves (and there are plenty) and she chose Mimosa by Another Point of View.  This rainbow colored bundle was just perfect for her project.
I suggested a Plus quilt, but she asked if there was a pattern somewhere for hearts.  I turned to Cluck Cluck Sew's heart quilt tutorial, and we got started.  Alison has created a super simple, but very fun quilt block that was just perfect for her idea.
I helped her cut the pieces, and showed her how to draw the lines on the background pieces to snowball the corners, and she got started.  I worried a bit that she would lose interest after a couple of sewing sessions, but she was very diligent.  Naturally, this project took place over several days.
Once she got the blocks made, we brought in the portable design board and she got to work.  This child has a knack for design (just like her mom!) and she knew exactly what she wanted.  The idea to have a solid block between each heart was entirely hers, although I helped her figure out how many blocks she would need.  Once she had the layout, she put the blocks in rows and sewed the rows together.
Once the top was complete, she asked me to quilt her masterpiece.  Naturally, I was thrilled to do it.  (Maybe next year, she'll want to do it herself.). She chose a remnant piece of blue plaid for the binding, and it was obviously meant to be, because we only had about 5" of binding left after we bound the quilt.
Needless to say, Granny was thrilled with her gift!  And hopefully, A will have great memories of sewing with Grandma.

2 comments:

  1. Clever young lady .What a beautiful quilt your GD make for her other Granny...
    it's sew good to see young ones enjoy sewing quilts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I really enjoyed helping her make this and her Granny was absolutely thrilled!

      Delete

It is never fun to write into a vacuum. I would love to know you were here, so stop and say hi!