Monday, November 23, 2020

#givethanks - day 3


Today, I am so very thankful for these two.  They were the best parents a girl could have asked for.  They were always so supportive of anything I ever wanted to do.  They always encouraged me to do my best, and provided a guiding hand without being overbearing.  As an adult, I marvel at the endless hours they spent driving me places, sitting through meetings and events, waiting in the car (or somewhere) while I spent hours at the library, in the days before cell phones and instant communication.  They made me believe that there was nothing I couldn't accomplish if I put my mind to it.

 Education was very important to them, perhaps because their dreams of education had been interrupted by a war.  I don't remember ever really discussing going to college.  I always knew that college was in my future, and that they would move heaven and earth to help it along.   

They taught me to be thrifty, to work hard, and to use my time productively.  They were the children of the Depression, and waste was never tolerated.  They taught me skills, homemaking of course, but also buidling things, and naturally, how to sew, knit, crochet, and create.

And they were very kind people.  I believe my dad was the kindest person I've ever met.  He seldom raised his voice (but when he did, you had better pay attention!)  

They have been gone decades now, but I still miss them every day and long for their advice.  I hear their words in my head sometimes, and know that the things they taught are still helping me along the way.

#givethanks

1 comment:

It is never fun to write into a vacuum. I would love to know you were here, so stop and say hi!