Sunday, November 29, 2020

#givethanks - day 9


This is my space.  It's often messy.  It's not perfect.  But it is my space, and I am grateful for it.  I do pretty much everything here.  I sew, of course, but I also grade papers, read novels, crochet, and simply relax here.  Occasionally I even watch TV or movies.

I have been so fortunate that for most of our 44 years of marriage, in most of the places we've lived, I've been able to have a space.  For many years, while our children were growing, it was a tiny little nook off the kitchen with 4 doorways and only 7 feet of usable wall space.  I made the most of it.

THIS space is bigger - much bigger - than that little corner I had for so many years.  And its use has evolved.  I love it.  I can be more organized and see more of what I have.  I can have two machines (and sometimes even 3) out at the same time without feeling claustrophobic.  

I am also grateful for this skill that has enabled me to help so many people this year.  I've lost count, but I've made somewhere around 800 masks I think.  

Many of them went to help our medical community at the beginning of the Covid crisis.  

I made a few hospital gowns and scrub caps too.  I'm very grateful I was able to do help in some small way.

I've also been able to make doll clothes and other items to make my grandchildren and others I love happy.  The doll clothes (and the techniques that changed it from a terrible chore to a pleasure) was shared with me by a friend of a friend that I've never met except through Instagram.

When I was around 8 or 9, my mom sat me down at the sewing machine and taught me to sew.  I'm sure I made a thing, although I don't remember what it was.  What I do remember was being at my grandmother's and noticing that my swimming suit needed mending and sitting down at her treadle machine and completing the repair like I knew what I was doing.  I remember my {male} cousins being impressed.

As I grew up, my mom would give me $100 to buy school clothes at the beginning of the school year.  In those days, it was a hefty sum, but still didn't go far if you had to buy shoes, a winter coat, underwear, and gym clothes.  I learned quickly though that Mom would buy me all the fabric, notions, and sewing supplies I wanted.  The message was clear - if you want a wardrobe, make it yourself.


I sewed for my kids when they were small, but when the youngest was 4 I went back to work and the husband went to work for an airline.  After that, if we were lucky, he spent maybe 2 days out of 7 at home.  This was a very busy and chaotic period of our lives, and for about 15 years, I rarely sewed anything but Halloween costumes and prom dresses.


And then things quieted down, grandchildren came, and I discovered modern quilting.  And I was hooked!

And now I am able to share my love of sewing with my grandkids.  They come for a month every summer and I always plan a project.  The first year, it was tote bags.  The next year, pajamas.  This year it was shorts.  But then the oldest asked if she could make a quilt for her Granny.  She went shopping in my stash and made the most wonderful quilt.

And she did everything except the quilting by herself.

And this space is where we hang out...


Where they help Grandma create...

Where we get a little bit silly...

Where we play...


Where we get a leeetle bit goofy...

Where we can relax together...

And maybe get a little bit silly sometimes.

And I love it.  And I am so very grateful.  And I hope I get the chance to share these things with my other two granddaughters - one who lives far away and one who is still a newborn - someday soon.

#givethanks



No comments:

Post a Comment

It is never fun to write into a vacuum. I would love to know you were here, so stop and say hi!