Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Progress on the MIAGIA Crazy 9-Patch Quilt Top, Mini QT Received, and Other Updates

These blocks have been haunting my dreams, and yesterday morning I woke up with an urgent need to work on this quilt top. A few days ago, I asked for advice on colors to sash these  blocks made with random donated fabrics.  I got some great comments, both on Flickr and on my blog post.  One wonderful reader actually took my block post and magically (using a new Flickr tool I don't understand quite yet) placed my blocks in various colored sashing so I could see what it looked like.  You can find her photo here.  How cool is that?  I was really drawn to the blue/aqua photo, but I just couldn't quite commit...  Until Mrs. Darling and Sister of the Divide both suggested in my blog comments that I use both.  Aha!  That was the inspiration I was waiting for.

And it's been bugging me ever since.

I have never done cornerstones before and was puzzling it out in my mind when I went to bed night before last (in the middle of a crazy-wild thunderstorm, I might add) and when I woke up, I wanted to sew in the worst way.  Sadly, it had to wait until I got home from work.  I have other projects with deadlines, but this is the one that I chose to work on.  I still have sashing to add to two sides, and then I think it needs some borders to make it a more usable size, although it might make an OK kid's quilt the way it is.  Still, I think I'll add at least one border to tie the whole thing together.  There is still a LOT of that argyle print left.  Doesn't really go with my aqua/orange sashing, but it IS in almost every quilt block.



I've got to get to work on my Make Mine Modern project.  You send your secret partner 1-1/2 yards of fabric you think she'll like plus an item to decorate their sewing room and a handmade item.  I've pretty much known what I wanted  to do for my partner for weeks, but I just can't make myself sit down and do it.  Now I'm wondering why.  Anyway, I'm down to the wire - the deadline to mail is April 15, so I've got to get moving.  And BD #2 will be home next week, and I know I'll be distracted, so I had better get this done.






 In other news, I received my 3-D Mini QT quiltie from my partner, Valery Anne.  It's adorable.  It's stamped, painted, stitched and beaded, with great embellishments, like felt leaves and star buttons, and a cute hand-painted (?) birdie.  Great work!  I have a little wall space in my sewing room and I'm going to make it a home there.

I hope she gets my creation soon, because I'm excited to share.  I think it just might be my most creative work yet.  I showed it to a co-worker, and she commissioned one for herself, so I'm pretty excited about that.

I'm not sure how I managed it, because I really thought I had signed up for the next round, but I must have been delusional, because I actually REMEMBER signing up, but apparently I did not.  So I'm sitting out this round, which is probably OK, since I'm doing several other swaps and I have several quilt tops I want to finish. 

But alas, now it is time to go to work.  TTFN!

No comments:

Post a Comment

It is never fun to write into a vacuum. I would love to know you were here, so stop and say hi!