Monday, April 21, 2014

A Princess Do-Over



I posted here and here about the princess dresses I was making for my granddaughter, Abby.  The Elsa dress appears to be a big hit - enough so that taking it off to be washed has become something of an issue.

So I bought some more fabric and some lace and some ribbon and made a Rapunzel dress.

And I just wasn't happy with it.  The ribbon puckered all down the front and when I pressed the ribbon, the design came off. 

It took me awhile to make myself take the dress apart, but I took off the first ribbon and replaced it with some wider grosgrain ribbon.  I think this will hold up better than the embossed satin ribbon I bought at first.

And the skirt is no longer puckered where the ribbon is attached.

Yes, that's much better.

While I was at it, I made a Cinderella dress, just for good measure.  Again I went with a dancewear knit for the main body of the dress so that she can put it on and take it off by herself.  I jazzed it up with some glitter chiffon (after my experience with the glitter tulle, this seemed like a better choice.)  It isn't as glitzy as the tulle, but I don't think it will wash out either.

Here's hoping she likes her new princess dresses.





3 comments:

I love comments! Please - make my day!