Saturday, April 12, 2014

14 in 2014 Finishes Update

I've been doing pretty well so far this month in the sewing room and I have a couple of finishes to report.  Not bad for the 12th of the month, I think.



First is my Modern Maples quilt.  The quilt top and backing has been finished since at least September or October, and it has been sandwiched since Halloween, but I've only just now gotten it quilted.  But I love the texture the quilting gave it.

I outlined the leaves, which was a total pain in the neck, but I really like the look it gave them.

Then I quilted the background in random leaves and loops.  Leaves and loops go a lot faster than all that outlining!

I created a real back for the MM quilt with some of the leftovers from making it.  Since I started out with a FQ bundle and a layer cake, there was a lot left over, even after making two quilts!

I decided on a super scrappy binding for the MM quilt, and I really love it!

I also managed to get the Faux String quilt done.  If you remember this post, from way back in June of 2013, I created the blocks from the Stripes That Bind bundle from Westwood Acres.  (Let me just say that Amanda puts together such awesome collections!)  And yes, it's been sitting there a really long time.  I actually think it has been sandwiched since about last August.

And it just sat there.  And sat there.  And every time I looked at it I thought, "You know, I really should get that down off the shelf and quilt it.  It wouldn't take that long..."  And still it sat there.

Until now.

I got it down off the shelf on Saturday evening, and quilted a couple of the hexagons.  And then on Monday I quilted a couple more.  On Tuesday, I finally decided to just sit-down-and-finish-it-already!

Again, I outlined the hexagons, and swirls in the background.



I bound it in this cool multi-color stripe that was one of the stripes in the hexagons.  The more I stitched the binding, the more I decided I liked the stripes. 

The backing is some random leftover pieces from other quilt backs I did last summer.

So, that's two finishes already in April!  I'm so excited!



And since we were in the middle of an ice storm when I finished the Spot On quilt, I finally got pictures of it as well. 
 

This one is also one more toward my making every quilt in Camille Roskelly's Simplify book.  Only a few more to go!

I quilted the spots in spirals, and then quilted the boundaries of the blocks in swirls.  I did a herringbone in the sashing...


 And hearts (of a sort) in the inner border.  I never did manage to get the hearts as consistent as I would have liked.



I tried my hand at feathers (my first feathers ever!) in the outer border.


They are far from perfect, but respectable, I think for a first try.  I obviously need more practice.



Like the MM quilt above, I used a bunch of random leftover pieces to make the quilt back.  I'm really glad that it ended up {mostly} straight.

And I used the same scrappy binding for this quilt as I did for the MM quilt.  (And I still have some left over after binding two quilts.  Wonder what I'll find to do with it?)

So, I think that's six...

Starflower

  Spot On



Bookshelf Quilt

Breath of Avignon

Modern Maples


 Faux String Quilt

 finishes this year from the 14 in 2014 list.  Only 8 more to go in 8 months!!  Woohoo!

I might just be able to do this!
















1 comment:

It is never fun to write into a vacuum. I would love to know you were here, so stop and say hi!